Pages

Friday 12 August 2011

It's the little things....

It struck me yesterday how important the little things can be sometimes........ and also how goofy I can be when I think no one's watching.

One of the things I decided to make, while I was lazily contemplating the day ahead from under my duvet, was a new case for my iPhone. I had a small piece of pink flamingo print cotton hidden in my fabric stash and knew it would be perfect. For extra protection I decided to use some medium weight wadding and quilt the lining with some pretty mint green polka dot cotton.





Even though I was making this case for myself I wanted to sew in one of my brand labels, and it was at this point that I realised I was grinning like an idiot. It might not seem like a big thing to some people but it made me happy. MY brand label. This business might be happening slowly.... but it's happening. I'm making it happen. I might not have had many orders yet.... but I am getting them (and after I posted a picture of the finished case on Twitter some one asked me to make an identical one for them!)

Happiness is a label to call your own

So anyway, after my cheeks had stopped their involuntary gurning the quilted lining and outer fabric pieces were each sewn right sides together along the sides and bottom (the lining piece having a small gap left open along the bottom to pull all the layers through later). Keeping the right sides facing each other the lining was inserted into the outer fabric and all layers were stitched together along the top edge, which is quite a fiddly job considering how small this case is! A small piece of matching pink ribbon went between the layers on the same side as the label to act as a closure, the button to be sewn on at the very end. Then everything gets carefully pulled through the hole left in the lining until it looks like this....



A few careful hand stitches to close the gap and the lining was pushed back inside the outer fabric and a dainty little pink button was found to finish the whole thing off.

Ta Da!


I'll be making a few of these in the next few days with different fabrics for my Folksy shop.

So what's made you grin like a crazy person lately?

x

No comments:

Post a Comment